To ensure that children have a safe and enjoyable swimming experience, the YMCA of Central East Ontario has implemented a wristband procedure. This system allows staff to identify children at greater risk of accidents and ensure adequate supervision when in the pool area. All children 9 years of age and under will be given an identifying wristband by the facility staff.
6yrs & |
Pass facility swim test
If child passes swim test, the RED wristband is removed and replaced with a GREEN wristband, allowing child unsupervised access however parent/guardian must remain in facility.
||Child will be required to do a facility swim test and obtain a GREEN wristband to access deep end of pool.
*Accompanied: Must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or designate (caregiver) who is at least 16 years of age and is responsible for their direct supervision. Caregiver must be in bathing attire and within arms’ reach of the child(ren) at all times, both in and out of the water.
Facility Swim Test
To successfully pass the facility swim test individuals must demonstrate comfort in water and be able to jump into deep water, submerge and swim two continuous length of the pool without touching the side or bottom.
Shower Before Swimming
A thorough shower with soap before you enter the pool will help keep the water clean for your swimming enjoyment. We also ask that street shoes not be worn in the shower and deck areas.
Serious Medical Conditions
Those with serious medical conditions should ensure that the membership and aquatic staff are aware of the condition. Your medical doctor should be consulted before swimming.
What to Wear
Proper bathing attire means bathing suit only. If you wish to wear a t-shirt over your bathing suit you can. We just ask that it be clean.
All children who are not toilet trained are required to wear swim diapers or an article of clothing with snug elastic legs. No disposable diapers are permitted.
Admittance Requirements for Day Camps and Groups and Birthday Parties
- Children who cannot pass the facility swim test must remain in the shallow end of the pool and remain directly supervised by their caregiver at a ratio of 8:1
- Group caregivers must be reminded that they are entirely responsible for their group while in the facility. They must effectively supervise the group at all times
- In addition, children 7 years or older, who can pass a facility swim test, must be accompanied and supervised in a 10:1 ratio
- The wristband policy must be implemented and followed
- Male and female caregivers must be available for appropriate supervision in respective change rooms